Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Life of the Spirit

Sparked by an odd request from an online buddy, I recently put pen to paper writing a short essay about my personal philosophy. This is not as easy as it sounds, for we don't often dwell on what lenses we see the world through, more difficult still is crafting the right words to describe these thoughts. As I speak today, I feel it more as a yearning, a calling, a gentle whisper upon my ears, a place where I would someday like to be. The Philosophy that calls to me, is that of living a life of the spirit, an existence dedicated to learning, devoted to compassion, and of deep spiritual growth. In a way, I've always known I was like though it was never as clear to me then as it is now. Always I've thought, why does evil exist, who or what is God, and what is my place in the world? When I could not find the answers, I railed against the fleetingness of life, it's almost purposeless rhythm.

The void it left in my soul almost dragged me under, until I realized that the only thing that can really fill this restlessness is spirituality, gained through living a life of the spirit. This is not me yet, it may not ever be me, our material world shackles me with its' trappings of wealth, it's temporary allure beckoning to my eyes. Yet I know where I should be, though I know not what bends in the river my journey will take.

No comments: