Friday, August 01, 2008

Ras Tafari Filipinos; WTF???

Meet Budoy, Pinoy Big Brother reject and a self confessed Rastafari. I think it's fitting that when I googled the keywords "Pinoy Rastafari" Budoy's face pops up. Budoy is a local celebrity in Cebu and according to my aunt Margie some sort of comic genius. I saw him quite a lot of him sitting in the starbucks near Ayala, that stupid towel on his head and sipping on some soul devouring Corporate Coffee. Starbucks Ayala has the only decent bathroom in the Cebu Metropolitan Area, and that would be the only reason why I would be hanging out at Starbucks.



Anyways apparently Budoy is a Rastafari, and a local purveyor of "reggae" music. I know people say that the Philippines is 20 years behind America, but for God's sake Bob Marley died in 1981, but don't tell the Cebuano Rastafaris that, they might go into mourning for their favorite star. I'm not joking, some of these people think I shot the Sherif is a contemporary number one hit. You leave the Philippines for a few years, and the next time you come back you see Pinoys wearing Ethiopian colors and sporting dreadlocks. I wonder what in the world Bob Marley would think about a bunch of midgets in dreadlocks worshiping Haile Selassie I.

So I guess the question is how did a Black Liberation theology begin to influence the underground movement of an Asian Nation nearly 30 years after one of it's most famous proponent dies? I don't have a clue either.

No comments: